Residential Renovations & Upgrades
From small renovations to whole-home remodelling, any reno project is a great opportunity to give your electrical a proper review.
On this page
Your kitchen is one of the most frequented rooms in your home, and with the right planning and trades a kitchen renovation can transform it into a stunning and functional space.
Not only can a kitchen reno provide you with an improved day-to-day experience in your home, but it’s also a very wise investment towards the value of selling in the future.
During your kitchen renovation, our electricians work hard to cause minimal disruption to your home and life.
A few tips to consider:
- Know your appliance types and locations. Your electrician will love you for having a good understanding of your major kitchen appliances. As these large appliances typically have special power requirements, having a concrete answer to the question of “What appliance is going where?” will help ensure a smooth renovation.
- Don’t forget countertop appliances. How many countertop appliances do you use regularly, and where would you like them to go? This will help you develop an efficient flow around the kitchen, and will help us determine the number and location of outlets you’ll need.
- Keep technology in mind. Tech is a relatively new addition to the hub of your home, but you will appreciate taking how you use technology into account when planning a renovation. Powerful USB outlets are one of the best quality-of-life improvements you can install in your new kitchen.
- Consider your kitchen workflow. For example, where would it be convenient to have light switches for your kitchen lighting? You don’t want to have to walk across a room just to turn the lights on because the flow of the space wasn’t properly taken into account. (And trust us, we’ve seen it all!)
No matter what your style or your budget, we can help light and power your kitchen to give it that special something extra.
Three of our favourite kitchen updates include:
- Using under-cabinet lighting to provide safe, bright light to your cutting board and work areas
- Providing intimate mood lighting above the communal island eating space
- Installing pop-up power receptacles and charging stations for your devices
The ideas and options for improving your kitchen with well-planned and executed electrical work are nearly endless, but the best options come from thinking about how you live and work in the space. We can help you get there! Contact us to learn more.
Note: Kitchen remodelling projects often require permits and inspections. Ensure you work with only reputable electrical companies and trades during any renovation project.
Like the kitchen, bathroom renovations can play a big part in improving your day-to-day use of your home.
Are you looking for a “spa-like” place to relax and feel comfortable in? Or perhaps you have a busy family and need a bright, functional, and easily-cleanable space?
We’ll work with you to determine the best options for your style and budget. Together we’ll discuss power and USB charging outlets, atmosphere-setting dimmer switches and light fixtures, and functional and bright vanity lighting – all while keeping safety top-of-mind.
Other considerations we will plan around:
- Light Placement – We know how to place lighting that is flattering while you’re at the mirror. We typically avoid recessed or surface-mounted ceiling lights, and focus on lights on either side of your mirror at eye level.
- Energy Efficiency – LED lighting options have come a long way, both in terms of design and energy savings. Switching to energy-efficient options is good for the environment and your wallet.
- Your Style – We can replace outdated light fixtures with options that suit your design style and esthetics.
- Power Outlets – We’ll determine the correct placement and number of bathroom outlets by discussing your routines and how you use the space.
- USB Charging – Imagine shaving or drying your hair while being able to safely charge your phone without fussing with power bricks. USB outlets provide a large quality of life improvement that is often overlooked during bathroom renovations.
- Proper Ventilation – Choosing the right size and style of bathroom ventilation is a key part in reducing moisture and odours, and helps prevent unwanted heating loss in the winter.
- Heating Systems – Have you considered heated flooring while planning a bathroom renovation? While Island Electric does not install heating flooring systems themselves, we work closely with flooring specialists to provide safe and proper power to these systems.
No matter what your needs are, Island Electric Co. has the skills to work with you to create a lighting and power system that is built around your needs. Contact us today to book a free estimate!
Service Panel Upgrades
You may need to upgrade your home’s electrical service when renovating to make sure it’s up to the task of distributing power to your upgraded home. Click below to learn more.
Lighting & Climate Control Upgrades
Two major considerations for home renovation and upgrade projects are lighting and heating/cooling options. Click below to visit our dedicated pages on each of these topics.
Appliance Circuit Upgrades
It’s common during renovations to upgrade your major home appliances, but did you know that your appliance circuits might also need an update?
From ovens to dryers, air conditioners to heat pumps, we can provide testing and inspection services to ensure that your appliance circuits meet all power requirements for your home renovation project.
And if you’re running short on power for your new appliances, we’ll help upgrade your circuits to meet or exceed all BC electrical codes.
Please note that Island Electric Company does not repair appliances themselves.
Home Office Upgrades
Working from home has become more and more popular since mid-2020 – but not every home office is up to the task.
The right planning and installation can improve your connectivity speed and reliability, and impact both your productivity and at-play activities.
Island Electric Co. can plan and install data, voice, and network cabling, and help with smaller tasks like relocating existing outlets and installing new connection points.
Hot Tubs & Saunas
Adding a hot tub or sauna is a great addition to any home, but brings with it new electrical requirements and safety considerations.
Whether inside your home or out in your garden, Island Electric Co. can ensure your sauna or hot tub is properly powered and safe to operate in this damp and wet environment.
Custom Home Audio/Visual
A home renovation project is a great opportunity to achieve your unique audio-visual desires.
When the drywall is off and the walls are exposed, running discreet cabling for your stereo or theatre system can be a fairly minor addition that provides a lot of enjoyment.
Mounting services, video distribution, and audio cabling are just some of the services can offer to help you create a custom audio/visual system built just for you and your space.
Canadian Electrical Code Compliance
During the renovations process, we will assess the current condition of your electrical systems through inspection and testing. We will ensure your current systems are up to the task of any new additions, while also analyzing efficiency and safety.
If you’re adding something that requires more power than you can safely deliver, we can help to upgrade your existing residential service to meet your new needs.
Work performed by Island Electric always meets or exceeds Canadian Electrical Code regulations.
Discuss Your Project
You can explain what you need with our handy estimate form, or just phone in or email to get started.Book an Estimate Phone/Email
Thank-you for considering Island Electric Co.